Clifton Community Library
Board of Trustees Minutes
April 21, 2020

Present: President Cindy Whitmore, Nicole Curry, Don Lashomb, JoAnn Young, Library Director Susan (Kate) Kosier.
Absent: None.
The virtual Zoom meeting was called to order at 6:02 pm by President Cindy Whitmore.

Public Comment:

Friends Report:
Marilyn Zimber sent an email saying that on May 15 th the Friends will make a decision about what events they’ll have this summer and which ones they’ll cancel.

Letter from a summer patron who lost three of our books and reimbursed us.
Letter from the Northern New York Community Foundation, which wanted to follow up on the $1,200 grant they gave us in 2017 to support the sustainability of the Art Show. Marilyn has already submitted a report to them regarding this.

Minutes of the previous meeting were approved: Motion by Don, seconded by JoAnn.

No Financial report this month: This is put on hold until next time because the treasurer and director couldn’t get together due to COVID-19 precautions. Bank statements were shared with trustees via email. Kate has gone as far as she can with QuickBooks and is waiting for information from Community Bank.

Report of the Library Director was accepted.

Old Business
We are still searching for a new board member. Cindy wants someone to represent Newton Falls. Kate will ask Marcia Martin.
JoAnn and Cindy need to take new oaths to renew their service after five years. Karen will have to witness the oaths whenever the building reopens.

New Business
We have not received our money from the Town yet for this year. Kate is in contact with Nancy Russell regarding this.
We have decided to furlough our part-time employees until we can rehire them after the COVID-19 crisis passes. We are going to follow the governor’s recommendations for reopening, like the Town of Clifton is as a whole. We will continue to pay Kate as normal during this time,
since she has been doing library work all along.
We will probably have a “soft reopening” after the crisis. We are dependent on Town Supervisor Hooven and whenever he decides it is safe to reopen the building to the public.
The grant for the Newton Falls WiFi hotspot expires in May. We will renew it through June, mostly because we believe that kids are probably using it to access the internet for schoolwork.
SLIC has been unable to provide Kate with use statistics despite repeated efforts to get them and find out how much the hotspot is being used, at what times, by whom, etc. Without the grant, the service would cost us $75 per month, and trustees are reluctant to pay for this after June unless someone helps us. Wilderness Healthcare (via Tom Sauter) is interested in helping, but they want statistics.
The number of hits on Kate’s recent Facebook storytimes are very impressive and this is something we should pursue.
Book budget: Cindy feels we’re subsidizing other libraries with our books. We will opt-out of NCLS’s fast-track exchange program so that our new books and DVDs will be kept locally for the first three months. To keep books “alive” after they are no longer new, we can sometimes take a
book that’s a year or two old and spotlight it, or spotlight older books from popular authors.
Kate will also ask other libraries what they do with their discarded books.
Don was interested to know whether or not we should investigate refund options on the theater system, since it will not be used as planned this year, but since we have already informed the families of the benefactors who bequeathed the funds to us, it wouldn’t be proper to do this.
Cindy proposes using the theater for a drive-in movie this summer. JoAnn says that the firehall parking lot could also be used as a movie location. We could even get a radio station to broadcast the audio so that people in cars can tune in that way.

The front sign, which blew down a few months ago, should go back up as soon as possible after the building reopens. No hurry on the curtains for the pavilion. We need a new library flag.

Next monthly meeting: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 6:00 pm in the Library or via Zoom.

Meeting was adjourned at 7:05 pm. Motion by Don, seconded by Nicole.

Don Lashomb