Clifton Community Library
Board of Trustees Minutes
May 17, 2022

Present: President Cindy Whitmore, Nicole Curry, JoAnn Young, Don Lashomb, Director Heather Nichols, Nickie Nolan, Julie Lanphear, prospective trustees Rachel Graham and Arlene Davis.
Absent: Kathy Gill.
The meeting was held in the Community Room and called to order at 6:04 pm by President Cindy Whitmore.

Public Comment:
Julie says the recent promotion of ebooks has been a good idea. Heather says people have come in to sign up because of the ebook promotions.

Friends of the Library Report:
Nickie says the Friends will have a meeting in June. Marilyn Zimber contacted Heather and gave the following dates for summer events: July 23-24 book sale, July 24 10th Mt. Division band, July 31 Jon Foster, Aug 13-14 Artshow, Aug 28 Nelson Brothers band.
The trustees agree to help the Friends pay for the musical entertainment as usual. Motion by JoAnn, seconded by Don; all present trustees state that they are in favor.

Correspondence/Communications:
Cranberry Lake North Shore Hub have asked us for a donation. Trustees say this is not in our budget this year and that they consider the large donation a few years ago to have been a one-time donation.

Minutes of the previous meeting are approved: Motion by Nicole, seconded by Don.

Financial Report is accepted.

Report of the Library Director was accepted.

Old Business
Pandemic response update: No real update. Heather is happy to keep masks optional if local COVID numbers stay down.
Heather is looking into partnering with the St. Lawrence County Office for the Aging in the near future, possibly requesting that they come in on a Saturday to meet with any senior citizens who might benefit from their services.
New Grab-and-Go kits are on the way. Grace Sauter will help with those.
There has been more interest in the Playaways. The Friends will buy six more for us.
Wild Center passes haven’t gone out much because the Center was closed in April, but there has been interest.
Bookdrops in other towns have been in use. The Wanakena bookdrop has had about a dozen items returned.

New Business
Patrons have had various requests for potential activities and services: outside yoga, table top games, and a seed trade or seed library. Heather is looking into all this. Tupper Lake Library has had a seed trade and may have pointers for us. A man in Newton Falls is interested in hosting a
game night.
Our certification to show movies has come in. We have yet to use our outside movie theater but will look into that this summer, sending out a questionnaire to patrons to see what movies they might want to watch. Heather will consult with Sandra and Nickie on this.
Curtains for the pavilion need to be put up soon, since we’re coming into June. We need a ladder to do so, and Heather may be able to borrow one. Our previous ladder has gone missing; probably the men who worked on the outside of the community center accidentally took it with them.
Cindy and Heather have signed up to go to an NCLS meeting in Clayton.
Baker & Taylor will have new movies sent our way soon.
New trustee update: Don and/or JoAnn may leave the board in the near future. Rachel Graham and Arlene Davis introduced themselves and have interest in becoming trustees. We have also had interest from Paul Gherig, who used to be a library trustee in Champlain, but he could not
attend tonight’s meeting. All three could join, but one of them would have to be a non-voting member, at least temporarily, since we need an odd number of trustee voters.
New computer software: Our current software became obsolete in 2018. NCLS is arranging to service us with LibKey software. This would be a $325 installation fee, plus an annual $22.25 for hosting and support. Heather has never seen both our public computers used simultaneously, so
we will go down to only one public computer and purchase LibKey software for it. Motion by Don, seconded by Nicole.

Trustees unanimously approve an updated patron Code of Conduct policy. Motion by Nicole, seconded by JoAnn.
Starting in June we will have another raffle for a gift basket. As before, we will give tickets to patrons for free, for using the library. In the future we may do a raffle by selling tickets for $1 apiece, though those in attendance agree that people really like “free” more!
Porta Potties for the summer: Heather has been trying to get in touch with Ken Hall to set this up. We will have porta potties from July 1 to September 30, and they will be equipped with hand sanitizer—no garbage bins. We will pay the cost to Hall Bros. and then charge the Boat
Club and the Town of Clifton 1/3 each, as both organizations have already agreed.
Otto’s Abode will host the author J.E. Irvin on May 28. We are promoting the event on our Facebook page.

Next monthly meeting: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 6:00 pm.

Meeting was adjourned at 6:44 pm. Motion by JoAnn, seconded by Don.

Don Lashomb
Secretary